Happy Fall Y’all
By Sarah Clavin, Miller Swim School
I have to admit, this is my favorite time of the year. There is something about cooler temperatures, a cozy fire, the autumn leaves, and apple pie that just sparks joy, right down to my soul. The autumn season presents us with a multitude of activities specific to this time of the year, a perfect time to get outdoors and try a few new things! I’ve compiled a few Fall Bucket List items for you below, enjoy!
· Visit the Pumpkin Patch
o Carmichaels and Pumpkin Town are a few of our favorites
· Apple Picking at Livesay Orchards (October is the best time of year for this!)
· Make S’mores around a fire pit or campfire
o Pro Tip: substitute Hershey’s chocolate for thin Reese’s cups!
· Pumpkin Carving (or decorating) Contest
· Roast Pumpkin Seeds (here are a few flavor varieties to try!)
o Pizza Flavor: Parmesan, Basil, Oregano, Salt, Garlic Powder
o Cinnamon Sugar: Olive oil, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, Salt
o Sweet and Spicy: Sugar, Salt, Cayenne Pepper, Black Pepper
· Escape the cooler temps and visit Adventure Avenue
· Source out the kids to rake leaves and then jump in the piles
· Make Candy Apples for an after dinner treat one night
· Take a nature walk
o Science project: collect leaves of various colors and types, compare
o Observe the animals out and about this time of year
· Turkey Handprint Painting
o Commemorate your kids growth with the size of their hands, help them write things they are thankful for on each finger
· Make some homemade Pumpkin Spice Play dough
o All it takes is some flour, salt, cinnamon, bark essential oil and water!
· Get cozy at the Drive In Movie
o Admiral Twin is currently playing A Nightmare on Elm Street
· Taste test some seasonal locally brewed beers (here are a few ideas!)
o American Solera
o Cabin Boys Brewery
o Marshall Brewing Co
o Welltown Brewing
· Tailgate Date – watch your favorite team with an at home Tailgate!
· Enjoy your meals on the Patio
· Celebrate Friendsgiving and try your hand at making a dish you wouldn’t normally try (stuffing anyone?!)
· Scary movie marathon – Netflix and Scream!
· Bake anything Pumpkin (bread, muffins, cookies, pie)
o Bonus points if you share with your neighbors!
· Create a Thankful Tree
o Write down things you are grateful for on each leaf as you apply it to the tree!
· Shop after Summer sales
o Thinking of getting patio furniture? Pool toys? Swimsuits? Now is the time to find them on SALE!
· Plant some Mums, if/when they die repurpose them for Halloween with a little bit of spray paint!
· Cozy up by the fire with a blanket and good book
o Check out my book review article for some ideas!
· Make a weekly trip to the Farmers Market
o Cherry Street and the BA Rose District are some of our favorites!
· Try every variation of the infamous PSL:
o Dirty Chai Pumpkin Latte
o Pumpkin Caramel Macchiato
o Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew
o Perfect Pumpkin Frappuccino
o Caramel Apple Pumpkin Spice
I hope you can find a few activities on there to get you started enjoying the season! Share with us as you find new ways to celebrate the season of embracing change and focusing on gratitude!
*you can tag me on instagram @sarahclavin and @the_jenks_tribune*